Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer 2012 - The Good, The Bad & The Awesome Pt.1 - The Good

When I started writing this post it was raining outside and not just raining, it was pouring. I'm not one of those anti-rain people, but it was the kind of rain that proves that the seasons have slipped from Summer into Fall and I'm not quite ready to give Summer up yet.

So, in an effort to ignore the upcoming cooler season, I give you ...

Summer 2012 - The Good, The Bad & The Awesome Pt.1 - The Good

I became a soccer mom.
Yep, something I always dreaded turned out to be one of my greatest joys this summer. Watching Jacob make friends and succeed on the soccer field was phenomenal. His team wasn't always the best and he rarely wanted to go to practise, but we had a blast.

Jacob, obviously ready for some hardcore soccer.


It may come as a shock to some of you, but I am not the most social of people. I generally feel awkward around new people and end up coming off as aloof or snobby. This summer I really wanted to kind of break free from that and I think I succeeded. Our family went on a fantastic vacation to Kincardine (which should totally be pronounced Kink-er-deen) with one of my husband's co-workers and his girlfriend, I met some great people at a BBQ I was totally dreading with a paintballing friend of Jeff's and I made an effort to get together with people for coffee and lunch. It was fantastic meeting new people, finding out that I'm bolder than I think and just having fun.

The Horney's take over Kincardine!


One of the things I enjoyed most about this Summer was that we did a lot of stuff as a family. Whether it was Jeff, Jacob and I, just me and Jacob, Jeff and Jacob or whatever we did some great stuff together this summer. As a family we watched fireworks, went to Movies in the Square and discovered we all kind of love flea markets. Jacob and I attended a car show, went to see The Pirates of Penzance with my parents at the Stratford Festival and went for some traditional (for us) "Mommy and Jacob Day" breakfasts. Jeff went to his first major league baseball game with Jacob, took him to the Water Park and taught him how to ride a two wheeler! We also spent a lot of time with my sister Amy and her family which was fantastic. I never really had a relationship with my cousins so I love watching Jacob build friendships with his.

Watching some fireworks and getting eaten by mosquitoes.


 Other good things (in no particular order):

  • I read some fabulous books


  • Jacob started losing teeth.
  • Just about to put the kid to bed and he looks at his dad and I and says, "So, you guys  are the tooth fairy, right?"
    Oy Vey!
  • Vintage clothes shopping and extreme grilled cheese with my sister Amy at Netty Vintage and The Tipperary Bog.
  • Went to see some great movies; The Avengers, Expendables II. Yay for explosions and Chuck Norris!!
  • Started getting involved a bit more in our church.
  • Napped a lot


The thing that stands out for me from this past Summer is that the things that made me and my family happy usually involved great people and not a lot of money. Funny how that works. ;)

Stayed tuned for Summer 2012 - The Good, The Bad and The Awesome Pt. 2, The Bad (cue ominous music)

No comments:

Post a Comment