Friday, April 6, 2012

What's Good About Good Friday?

I try not to get to "religious" on here, but the fact is that I'm a Christian so holidays like Christmas and Easter are very meaningful to me. If you don't like it that's cool I'll write something about Star Wars, Lego or ridiculous shoes soon. For now I'm going to write something small about Good Friday.

Good Friday is the day that Christians remember Christ's crucifixion. If you've ever seen the film The Passion of the Christ you got a glimpse at how brutal that was (only saw it once, never watching it again, thanks). I was talking to Jacob about Good Friday and reminding him about what Easter's all about and he asked me, "well if Jesus died why is it called Good Friday?" This isn't the first time I've been asked this and was actually asked it the other day by a coworker. So I had to think up an answer for Jacob, which brought me to a verse in Isaiah:
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities, the punishment that brought us peace was on him and by his wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)
I explained to Jacob that although Good Friday was, clearly, not good for Jesus, it was good for us. That Jesus' sacrifice provided freedom from sin and sickness and brought us peace. Then Jacob asked if he could play Xbox.

Maybe my explanation won't stick with Jacob, fingers crossed it will, but the reminder was good for me.  I was reminded that I can have peace, that I don't have to be ruled by sin and that healing (in all its forms) is free to me thanks to a God that loved people enough to take action.




And now I'm done preaching.

Enjoy your Easter Weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment