Sunday, February 5, 2012

This Week in Crazytown! (January 29-February 4, 2011)

What a week!!

I finally feel like I've gotten my equilibrium back after the craptacular start to the year that I've had. Here's what's been going on.

I've gotten back into reading again. It wasn't anything intellectually stimulating but I really felt pulled out of my reading funk by some of Lisa Kleypas' historical romances.

Call them "bodice rippers" call them trash, but I love to escape into a good romance novel.  There's something about watching two people fall in love under ridiculous circumstances that can sweep me away.  The series I read this week, was Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway Series, a series of 5 books that follow the lives and loves of the Hathaway Family. The series of books are set in Victorian England and are full of mystery, suspense, sexytimes and love *swoon*.

C.S. Lewis, author and Christian apologist, once said that "We read to know we are alive." I pretty much read to keep everyone alive. For me it's relaxing and helps me to de-stress. It's also something just for me and if you're a wife and/or mother you'll understand how valuable, rejuvenating and violence-reducing time for yourself really is.

I've also started writing again, nothing too mind blowing, but the point is that I'm doing it.
This past Friday my review of Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead was posted on Wicked Little Pixie the site I review books on. I didn't really have anything good to say about this book, but if you're looking for something to read you can find a lot of great books on WLP with honest reviews by real people...really fun people.

The second post was a joint post with site founder Nat on what we, as warm blooded women, deem to be unsexy for men. The list is populated with some pictures that may or may not burn your retinas and is a good refresher for that man in your life that occasionally needs some fashion advice.  We weren't able to list all of the unsexiness that plagues men, but there were a couple of really important no-no's, like the Speedo, Bicycle shorts, gansta pants, skinny jeans and overly-sculpted facial hair. I forgot to mention Do-rags, so I thought I'd include that here, just to share, because sharing is caring :)

Observe: A do-rag and a ugly stache. I think I just puked in my mouth .

Now, it wouldn't be a This Week in Crazytown Post if I didn't post some craziness I've observed this week.

1. The Karate Rap
Let me set this up for you. It was the late 80's and dinosaurs roamed the Earth Karate was huge! The original Karate Kid (1984) movie had made a star out of Ralph Macchio and made Karate the thing to do. I mean who doesn't want to break boards, crane kick on a stump on a beautiful California beach and catch flies with chopsticks? Am I right?  Anyway, Rap music was also becoming popular with the mainstream and, like we had with Jazz, Blues and Rock 'n' Roll, all of us honky white people were trying to steal Rap music and make it our own. This video combines Karate and horrible, white, 80's rap. Watch and be glad this did not catch on.




2. Lego Releases Images of the Lord of the Rings Mini-figures:
Ok, so this isn't really that crazy, but I am crazy excited about it. So I'm putting it in.

Gollum is soooo creepy. I must have it Precious!

3. This
*cue Cambridge Boys' Choir singing something angelic*

This culinary masterpiece is Sweet and Spicy Nutella-Coated Bacon! 
If you're not familiar with Nutella it's a chocolate and hazelnut spread that taste like heaven in your mouth. This recipe takes the majestically sweet  flavour of Nutella and combines it with the salty goodness that is bacon.
I love the combination of sweet and salty and I love both bacon and Nutella so this recipe sounds pretty much like a gift from God to me. Like angels fluttered down on gossamer wings and whispered it into the ear of whoever put it on the Internet just for me. It's that crazy good. I hope to try it soon and will let you know how it went.



Have a great week everybody, hope it's not too crazy!



No comments:

Post a Comment