Friday, January 13, 2012

This Week in Crazytown - A Tribute to Fashion (January 9-14, 2012)

Hi everybody! Did you miss me?
Had some family trouble that kind of through off my equilibrium, but I'm back now, mostly.
This week I've been seeing A LOT of fashion craziness online and I thought I'd share it with you in a sort of tribute to fashion.

1. Shoes
There have been tons of ugly shoes on the Internet this week.  Buzzfeed.com has a painfully awful list of  30 Insane High Heels That Will Make Your Feet Hurt.

Ladies, if part of your foot is on the ground I don't think you're technically wearing shoes.

Part of Old MacDonald's Fall Collection?

Then there's these abominations.
*shudders* So wrong. So very wrong.
These hybrid Uggs/Crocs and Vibram Fivefingers have been all over the Internet this week. They're horrible and awful and likely a fake, since I can't seem to find them on any of the websites for the companies that are supposedly part in bringing this monstrosity to life.If these are really I suggest we all start hoarding canned goods because the Apocalypse is surely coming soon.

2. Vintage Style
When I had more free time (read:before I got married and had my son) I used to scour secondhand stores for  awesome vintage-y goodness.  Recently I discovered a fantastic new vintage clothing shop in the town I live in it's called Netty Vintage. They've got a fantastic selection of vintage women's dresses, lingerie, shoes and jewelry. They haven't got a website yet but you can check them out on Facebook. Do it!

If you're one of those people who hates secondhand stores, but loves the look of vintage fashion check out Retronaut's vintage fashion pictures. With everything from pictures of the world's first bikini (circa 1946), the dresses of Tsarina Alexandra Romanov and spreads from Vogue Magazine from the 1950s and 60s this selection of photographs will give you a thrill without the searching through racks of old clothes.
British Vogue, 1965
3. Photoshop by Adobe
If you've ever bemoaned the lack of cellulite, pimples and uneven skin tones in fashion magazines you'll love this video. Watch it! Watch it I say!! It's AWESOME!

4. Walter Van Beirendonck
I don't really know a lot about this guy, but when you type "Bad Fashion" into Google Images his stuff is front and centre. His website showcases a whole lot of crazy and a weird obsession with peen. Also, based on his personal pictures I wouldn't let my kid within 80ft of him. 
This guy totally freaks my freak, but I have to thank him for reminding that Easter will be coming soon and I need to stock up on Peeps.
I just don't know where I'd wear something like this, I do however really want marshmallows. Weird. (Spring/Summer  Collection 2012)
5. Gareth Pugh
Noted fashion weirdo, Gareth Pugh, clearly has a different definition of "ready to wear" than I do. I'm pretty sure that there's not a lot of women out there "ready to wear" this stylish number anywhere. It seems to me that it might be a tad drafty. Just sayin'. *shrugs* 
Does this outfit make my hips look big?
[Source]

6. Plus Size Models Vs. Regular Models
Plus Model Magazine has publishes a beautiful, but also very poignant article highlighting the differences between regular models and plus size models. The article has some frightening facts about the size of your average model and the size disparity between fashion models and the average woman. Did you know that most modelling agencies consider plus size to be anywhere from a size 6 to a size 14? Yeah, they do and that's just crazy!
If you're feeling a bit chubby after the holiday foodfest I highly suggest checking out this beautiful fashion spread featuring *gasps* women with curves, actual curves.
I think she needs a sandwich more than she needs a hug.
7. David Gandy
David Gandy is a male model. He's currently the face of Dolce and Gabbana, not to mention the face of many a woman's fantasy. I don't actually have anything important or meaningful to say about David Gandy I just wanted an excuse to "research" pictures of him. One thing I did find out is that Mr. Gandy has a blog on British Vogue's website and he sounds pretty intelligent, humble and normal. It's a fun read and best of all it comes with pictures!!
Just a little man-candy.

8. And the Oscar goes too....
Award show season is starting up and that means it's time for the good, the bad, and the ugly of celebrity fashion. Honestly, I only watch these shows for the bad fashion. Maybe I'm a horrible human being but I get big laughs out of people who makes millions of dollars and have countless personal assistants being unable to dress for a night out. 
One of the site's I check out most this time of year is Go Fug Yourself. Go Fug Yourself always has fantastic pictures of all the celebrity fashion blunders, as well as successes, but let's face it they're less fun, and hilarious, but intelligent, commentary. If you're looking to expend some schadenfreunde or simply chuckle at an actor who is obviously colour-blind. Check this site out.

Pheobe Price - She's not really famous for anything other than dressing badly.
Why am I not famous yet?

As I mentioned earlier, I've had some family stuff going on. I lost my Opa (German for grandpa) to cancer last week. He was 79. A German immigrant to Canada, he was also a tailor and leather worker. Opa could make a stylish outfit out of anything, he, at one point, worked for a high end suit shop and I'm pretty sure he was making outfits out of curtains before Fraulein Maria and the Von Trapps ever thought of it. 
We weren't incredibly close, but it's his family, my father's family, that I identify with most. 
Oma and Opa dressed up for something. Opa in his hand made Gaucho costume.
Opa - 1936-2012

















3 comments:

  1. Loved all of that. Fotoshop -- BAHAHA. Especially the tribute to your Opa. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Opa.
    Loved this post, fashion has always been super kooky but those pics you've posted had me shouting WTF?! Lol thanks!

    ReplyDelete