I thought this was particularly witty on my part, but it also made me think a bit about what I'm currently putting off.
Right now, the major thing I've been putting off is joining a gym and starting to exercise regularly. I know I need to do this. I feel unhealthy and I would really like to shop in the non-plus clothing section. I'm starting to have trouble with my knees, I feel like dying after climbing the stairs at work and I don't have as much energy as I used to, but there just seems to be so many reasons why I haven't done this yet, I mean I've been talking about it for years, YEARS! and still I haven't done it. There always seems to be a reasonable reason not to.
Here's the list of some of the reasons I haven't joined a gym yet:
- Nobody to go with
- No way to get there (I don't drive)
- I don't know how to use all the equipment or even really how to "workout"
- I don't want to be the only chubby lady there
- I'll look stupid
- I don't own running shoes
- I'm sick
- I'm tired
Wow! Looking at that list makes me feel like a big (fat), whiny baby.
Some of those reasons are legitimate, but only to a point. Of course I can't join a gym if I don't have money, but is that stopping me from using the workout DVDs and Wii Fit I made my husband buy me with promises that they'd be used? And of course I can't take time off work to go to the gym, but somehow I found time to read 199 books last year, while still working full time and taking care of things at home, so really...?
The problem is a lot of those reasons are really just excuses because I'm too lazy or awkward to go out and try something new and potential uncomfortable. Nobody wants to put on size 1x track pants and jiggle and sweat all over an elliptical, but I need to balance that awkwardness out with whether or not I want to have my knees replaced at 45 and/or start needing a scooter to get from place to place.
I know I'm not the only person that struggles with procrastination and making excuses that keep me from living to the fullest. What are some of the big things you're putting off? Consider making a list of all the reasons you can't do that thing and then really examine that list and see how
embarrassing reasonable those reasons are. I bet you'll find at least 80% of them aren't reasonable and the other 20% can be worked around.
As for me, I've got a date with my sister to check out a gym tonight. If all goes well I'll be sweating my butt off (literally, please!) by the end of the week.
|This was the best sweaty picture I could find. Don't judge.|