Monday, January 30, 2012

Queen of the Procrasti Nation

Earlier today I tweeted about procrastination and somebody responded with "I'm the queen of procrastination". To which I responded

in reply to ..........
Sara Horney The queen of the Procrasti Nation !
50 minutes ago via web Favorite Reply Delete
Mentioned in this Tweet


I thought this was particularly witty on my part, but it also made me think a bit about what I'm currently putting off.



Right now, the major thing I've been putting off is joining a gym and starting to exercise regularly. I know I need to do this. I feel unhealthy and I would really like to shop in the non-plus clothing section. I'm starting to have trouble with my knees, I feel like dying after climbing the stairs at work and I don't have as much energy as I used to, but there just seems to be so many reasons why I haven't done this yet, I mean I've been talking about it for years, YEARS! and still I haven't done it. There always seems to be a reasonable reason not to.

Here's the list of some of the reasons I haven't joined a gym yet:

  • Money
  • Time
  • Nobody to go with
  • No way to get there (I don't drive)
  • I don't know how to use all the equipment or even really how to "workout"
  • I don't want to be the only chubby lady there
  • I'll look stupid
  • I don't own running shoes
  • I'm sick
  • I'm tired


Wow! Looking at that list makes me feel like a big (fat), whiny baby.


Some of those reasons are legitimate, but only to a point. Of course I can't join a gym if I don't have money, but is that stopping me from using the workout DVDs and Wii Fit I made my husband buy me with promises that they'd be used? And of course I can't take time off work to go to the gym, but somehow I found time to read 199 books last year, while still working full time and taking care of things at home, so really...?

The problem is a lot of those reasons are really just excuses because I'm too lazy or awkward to go out and try something new and potential uncomfortable.  Nobody wants to put on size 1x track pants and jiggle and sweat all over an elliptical, but I need to balance that awkwardness out with whether or not I want to have my knees replaced at 45 and/or start needing a scooter to get from place to place.


I know I'm not the only person that struggles with procrastination and making excuses that keep me from living to the fullest. What are some of the big things you're putting off? Consider making a list of all the reasons you can't do that thing and then really examine that list and see how embarrassing reasonable those reasons are. I bet you'll find at least 80% of them aren't reasonable and the other 20% can be worked around.

As for me, I've got a date with my sister to check out a gym tonight. If all goes well I'll be sweating my butt off (literally, please!) by the end of the week.

This was the best sweaty picture I could find. Don't judge.

14 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get BACK into the workout thing. It's funny because I used to do it religiously and then a well-meaning idiot friend triggered my stubborn streak wherein I did the exact opposite of what he told me to do. *head-desk* Right now I'm just trying to make it a habit again, so even though I'm not working out long enough to get any results, I'm doing it every day. I need to make the working out as important as the potential benefits. I know how easy it is to quit, and making it hard for myself ups the likelihood a million percent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I've gleaned some good stuff from this. :D

      Delete
  2. I HATE the gym, I have the wii dance games and find them easier then wii fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easier and more fun, but all it takes is one time catching your husband filming you (from behind!!) to make you never want to do them again. :(
      See! I have tons of excuses. LOL!

      Delete
    2. OMG, we have Kinect for xBox. I love it... until it takes pictures. Then I want to smash it into a million pieces.

      Delete
    3. The first thing I do when I start a game on the Kinnect is go to the settings and turn off all the photo options

      Delete
    4. It takes pictures of you! 0_0
      The Wii Fit thing only makes mildly disparaging comments about the fact that you haven't used it in forever. I'll take comments over pictures any day.

      Delete
  3. I also thought it was very witty on your part:). I think my problem is that instead of picking one thing to work on I go from nothing to trying to do everything and then I burn out and go back to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! So glad to know it's not just me.

      "Hey! I'll start reviewing books, writing a blog, working out, cooking more, scrapbooking etc, etc, etc."

      It's a vicious cycle, let me know if you figure out a way to stop it.

      Delete
    2. If I ever figure out a way to stop I'll let you know, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. So far this year on top of my full-time work I decided to start a blog and take 2 night classes. I was also going to work out more but that seemed to be the first thing to go *sigh*

      Delete
  4. I love this post because it totally rings true for me too! I made it to the gym only because I had a gym buddy and since she gave up 6 months ago I have too. I have the damn membership but haven't *cough* had any time *cough* to go.
    Definitely get yourself a pair of running shoes. You really don't need them just to go to the gym or to run but wear them for walks and general comfort, I live in mine!
    When you sign up to a gym you're normally given an introduction so they should show you how everything works. I never went to my introduction and lets just say me and the treadmill had a testy 1st meeting....
    I also found that my gym did lots of classes and it was easier joining those than working out on my own, plus they have a start time so if you say you're going then you have something to aim for.
    I'm not sure if i'm going to make it back to the gym, I'd like to think I am but my ex gym buddy and I are going to check out a Kung Fu class on Friday (yes I said Kung Fu). She thinks if it's something exciting and different I'm more likely to enjoy it and want to go every week but we'll see!
    It's the little things that make a difference. I brought a hoola hoop and after 5 minutes of battling to keep it going I was covered in sweat and ached like hell the next day. Also skipping with a rope is worth it so if the fees of a gym are what's putting you off try some things at home, away from your hubby and the camera hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I've got the sneakers and I've tried some new stuff off and on last year (Zumba and Anti-Gravity Yoga), but I've never stuck to anything.
      Kung-Fu sounds like an amazing class to try. Good luck with that.

      Delete
    2. How was Zumba, I've never tried?!
      Lol I shall let you know how the Kung Fu goes if I make it out alive.....

      Delete
    3. Zumba was super fun! I absolutely reccomend it if you're looking for something dance-y.

      Delete