Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's a New Year!

In the words of acclaimed, urban philosopher, Jay-Z (presumably pronounced Jay-Zed in Canada), "Go on brush your shoulders off...You got to get that dirt off your shoulder." Referring to negativity, the song suggests one just brush it off, get rid of it and keep going with your awesome self. 



This is the approach I'm taking to 2011. I'm just brushing it off. It's not that 2011 was a bad year. In fact, I can't actually think of anything awful that happened to me personally. I have friends and family that suffered through true loss and hard times, and for them I understand that 2011 may not so easily be brushed off. For these people I wish peace, joy and new beginnings for 2012, but for me I need to let 2011 go and move on.
Here's some of the cool stuff I did in 2011:
  • I read 199 books. This doesn't count the books I re-read. I think I could've made it to 200 but the book I'm currently reading is freaking long.  Here's a link to my top 5 favourite new reads for 2011.
  • My hair looks great in this shot! *sigh* I wish.
  • I started writing book reviews for the awesome people at Wicked Little Pixie a fantastic book review site.
  • I started writing a blog. How cool is that? If you're not sure it's very cool and it's a big thing for me. Totally out of my comfort zone. Usually, I just say snarky things and run. Now my snarkiness is on the Internet and there's no getting a way from that. 
  • I went to Zumba classes on a semi permanent basis and even checked out an anti-gravity yoga class. Again, totally out of my comfort zone as I'm decidedly non athletic and as a result jigglier than a Thanksgiving Jello mold.  It was a hard (and sweaty!) thing for me to get into but super fun.
  • I'm the one in the back about to fall on her head. Yeah, in the green. 
  • I made a lot of positive choices in my professional, social and spiritual life that have helped to start getting my life moving in the direction I want it to. 
  • And, most importantly, I went back to blonde. :D Obviously, not a major life changer, but I'm happy with it.

2012 is going to be awesome. Within the year I'll be celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary, my kid will turn 7 and hubs and I are going on a trip that doesn't involve Niagara Falls. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, accepting new challenges and facing the world head on as I brush off 2011 and belly flop my way into 2012.

May you easily brush off the negativity of 2011, taking only the good with you into a wonderful 2012. 


No comments:

Post a Comment