Saturday, December 31, 2011

This Week in Crazytown – New Year's edition (Dec. 25-31, 2011)


Christmas Day
I love Christmas Day, but let's face it, it's a day of complete craziness. This year the hubs and I went to not one, but two family functions on Christmas day. The whole thing is a bit of a blur actually, but what I do remember is that this year, Jacob got it.

When you've got a small child Christmas can be very overwhelming for them, but this year Jacob was old enough that he didn't have this problem. It was a joy to watch him gasp and exclaim over every single present. If I didn't know that he was 100% genuine in his exclamations of, “This is the BEST Christmas EVER!” and “I've ALWAYS wanted one of these!” I would have been looking around for a panel of Oscar judges. His excitement was the cherry on sundae of a fantastic day.
You bought me Hot Wheels and Lego!! Oh my gosh! You love me! You really, really love me!!!

Boxing Day
The day after Christmas in Canada is Boxing Day. I don't totally understand the whole Boxing Day thing. So here's a little definition from the good people at Wikipedia.

Boxing Day is traditionally a day following Christmas when wealthy people in the United Kingdom would give a box containing a gift to their servants. Today, Boxing Day is better known as a bank or public holiday that occurs on December 26, or the first or second weekday after Christmas Day, depending on national or regional laws. It is observed in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and some other Commonwealth nations.
In Canada, Boxing Day takes place on December 26th and is a federal statutory holiday where all full-time workers receive time off with pay.
In Britain,Canada, New Zealand and some states of Australia, Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday, much like the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. It is a time where shops have sales, often with dramatic price reductions. For many merchants, Boxing Day has become the day of the year with the greatest revenue.

Frankly, I don't really like crowds. So I avoid Boxing Day. I mean what's crazier than getting up super early to run to a mall or electronic store, where you'll be packed like sardines for a tv or laptop that will probably be on sale for the rest of the week. CRAZY!
A Toronto, ON mall on Boxing Day. This picture is giving anxiety right now.
The Week in General
Last week was the busiest week of the year for the business I work at. I'm an office manager at a Massage Therapy facility and the end of the year everyone has gift cards from Christmas OR has realized that they've been paying into annual health benefits that provide them with anywhere from $300 to $1500 worth of Massage Therapy per year and they forgot about it, they need to used those benefits, now, Now, NOW!!
The number of calls I take from people trying to figure out how much money they can spend in a weeks time is crazy. I also field tons of calls from people wondering if I can put their kids' names on their receipt so they can use those benefits or if they can prepay for a bunch of appointments and submit that receipt to their benefits provider; no, that's fraud, but thanks for coming out.
So, how many 90 minute massages can I get in the next 4 days? I'm trying to use up my benefits.
This year I took a day off and I'm really glad because...

Jacob was sick.
My kid doesn't just get the sniffles or just get a tummy ache he gets fevers of 103+F or chronic diarrhea and when Jacob gets sick his appetite goes down and I end up caring for a snotty, little Gollum, who doesn't want to take his medicine and wakes up at all hours of the night sick at my side of the bed poking me until I wake up. It's scary.
Look mommy! I'm playing with kitty.
Jacob is doing much better now, but his sickness put the kibosh on our New Year's plans. So it'll be a quiet night of Lego and Wii at the home of CdnMrs, the hubs and kid tonight. Which is cool, we wanted to spend it as a family and now we will.

I hope you have a safe, fantastic and CRAZY New Year's Eve and that 2012 is full of crazy amounts of joy and new things for you and your family.





No comments:

Post a Comment